TL;DR: The app is now web-based only. Mobile and desktop versions are discontinued.
A lot has happened since this app was first released:
- Google have discontinued Cardboard so cheap access to VR gear is no longer so easy.
- Unity’s WebGL has been steadily improving in stability and performance, whilst at the same time the maintenance of multiple desktop and mobile targets has become more time consuming.
- The data providers for the bitcoin transaction data have blocked this app’s API key whilst at the same time ignoring all support requests - so it’s bye bye to blockchain.info data. As a result the current mobile and desktop versions no longer work beyond the demo data.
Given these changes, the decision has been made to focus on a web only app and discontinue all mobile and desktop-native versions, which no longer work anyway.
This means any efforts can focus on adding new features and fixing bugs, which can be released almost instantly, instead of platform-specific builds and app store shennanigans. The new web based version is closed source because:
- It requires no plugins or add-ons to work, just a modern browser. As such, it is safely sandboxed from your OS and private data, so releasing source code to reassure people the app doesn’t steal secrets is less of a necessity.
- It relies on bespoke cloud services to provide bitcoin data, for which source won’t be released. Therefore any open source code released wouldn’t work anyway.
- Open source is great, but also requires effort to manage PRs and backwards compatibility. Closed source simplifies future development efforts.
- The open source code is still available, and will remain so indefinitely. It won’t receive any further updates. It is about 90% the same as the current release as of today. If you get a valid API key from blockchain.info it’s easy to get it up and running again (open the
Worldscene, edit the
B3dEngineAllInOnegame object and add the Api Key to the